Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wazzzaaaap?????

It's been a while since I've posted. I've been pretty busy for an unemployed person.

Trying to find a job is a job in and of itself.

I had to slow down an think about that idiom. All I could hear in my head was "in an oven self".

So anyways, my first priority has been trying to find a job. I have put in applications at a handful of places: Quest Diagnostics, NIH, Digene, and some other companies I found on Monster. I also am officially an employee of On Assignment Lab Support, which is basically a recruitment office for lab contract jobs, mostly in industry. So I'm waiting to hear from them.

The job at Quest was in their cytogenetics lab in Chantilly, VA. It's something I'd really like to do in the future, but unfortunately now was not the time.

NIH has crazy-involved job applications that include essays, like school applications. So those have been taking a lot more time. Of course I would LOVE a job at NIH, so I'm crossing my fingers hard for a job there. Unfortunately, the jobs that I am applying for are mouse related, so I wouldn't be able to have pet mice at home. Oh well.

The job opening at Digene was found by my mom in the Washington Post's Health and Science section. Digene is a molecular diagnostics company that developed the HPV cervical cancer test that is being promoted by all of those new "I didn't know I could get cancer from a virus" commericals. I really hate those commercials because it makes me mad that women don't know that the virus that gives you genital warts can give you cervical cancer. It's just something you should know if you're gonna engage in sexual activity. Same with the people who say, "I didn't know cold sores were caused by HERPES." The same herpes that causes brain damage, blindness, and death in newborns. And you can't get rid of it, EVER. Don't tell me herpes isn't a big deal because up to 75% of the people in the U.S. have it. That's just nasty and there are too many uninformed people!!!! Grr.

Anyways...

I also considered working retail for the meantime. I went to the mall and got applications and filled them out and got all ready to turn them in. But then I got calls from Quest (which ultimately led to nothing) and On Assignment and I spend all my free time applying to real jobs. So since I hate people, especially during the holidays, and I don't have to pay rent or nothin, I decided to put off the retail job until I'm insanely desperate. True, it means no cash for the holidays, but I was planning on making presents anyways. This Christmas is rather dry for the whole family anyway, so it's basically no pressure and I like that a lot.

I hope to get a job soon, because well, I like money. And for two, I will be able to concentrate on other things like writing a thesis. And fun stuff like making jewelry and making friends and exploring a city I've called home but really have no idea how to get around.

I have also moved my bedroom from upstairs to downstairs. I had to get a space heater because it is FREAKIN FREEEZIN down here. But, since I got the heater, I gots the coziest room in the house. And hopefully I will get to repainting the room before it gets cold again. Daytime highs lately have been 55-60degF and I need to have the windows open.

Last weekend my Pa and I put up some Christmas lights. We plan on putting up more this weekend as well as getting the tree and hanging the parol.

Also this weekend I need to make Christmas presents.

So, until I post again, wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Job hunting is always hard... so I hope something cool comes through soon. :)

mv said...

So I just finished taking a poll of the whole innernet and we've all concluded we want to see a picture of this Prayna parol about which so much has been spoken and written.

(what?)