Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Good times

Goo went back to the land of Cleve this week. While he was home we did fun things like make freezer paper stencil t-shirts. I learned it from Grace and you can find the instructions at Make.

That is a chalupa. It is placed low on the shirt because the tummy is where chalupas go.

I can't help but laugh every time I look at that shirt. And then I crave a chalupa. However, it makes Goo feel full. Which is good, because when Goo is at home he loses the ability to feel full. It doesn't help that Ma makes 5 kinds of dinners in one day supposedly so that she doesn't have to cook for the rest of the week. But in the end, some of us just end up eating many dinners in one day.

Anyways, this is my t-shirt.

It turned out to be a fish that jumps over my left boob.

Here is a close up of the design:
I think if I ever get a tattoo, it might be a fish. Probably not on my boob. I don't want it ending up looking like an eel or a whale or a sea monster later in life. Gross.

Speaking of tattoos, Goo also started on a t-shirt that will have his tattoos on it so that he won't have to lift his shirt to show them off. Apparently, he has already ripped one shirt in the process.


Tedious, but satisfying. And a completely unique product at the end!

I wore my fish shirt to yoga and I got to admire it in the big mirror. I'm vain.

Speaking of yoga, Goo came with me to yoga at the YMCA on two of the three Saturday mornings he was here. Actually, first, I showed him how to do a Sun Salutation A the week prior to the first class. He did really well and even the teacher was impressed by his ability. He's really good at standing pigeon, which involves standing on one foot. I wonder if it has something to do with having pontoon feet, lol.

The second week was challenging for both of us, mostly because of the headstand and shoulderstand that the teacher had us try. Goo managed a headstand but I was too afraid. These aren't headstands while standing on your hands. Your entire body weight is supported by your forearms and the crown of your head. I have only one neck and know too much on how I could break it. Frankly, I think it's a little irresponsible to have inexperienced people do headstands, but it's yoga at a gym taught by a former aerobics teacher who was trained in yoga through a totally westernized method. I don't expect too much. But it's fun and there is variety and that's why I go, but I know what my limits are. And just because yoga is old doesn't mean it's right. I don't think my head was meant to support my butt for any length of time. It was a pretty crappy class for me because I ended up giving myself a crick in my neck and the fact that I didn't do a headstand bothered me all day long. Though, the experience reminded me that I still do need to find a good serious Ashtanga yoga studio. One day I will do a headstand, but my head will not carry any of my weight.

On a better note, after the first class, the teacher and I were chatting about how Goo liked the class. She was surprised to find out that he had never taken a class before. I told her that I showed him a few positions and she was impressed (though I think my family has been blessed with great proprioception). She asked if I was interested in teaching, especially since I would be a great example of someone who is not skinny, but still strong and flexible. She recommended I check out the method she was trained in because it would only take a weekend or so to be able to teach a beginner yoga class. (Sounds a little sketchy, no? But the training program gives you step by step instructions on what to teach.) I was realllly excited about the prospect, because in an ideal world I'd just like to make jewelry and do yoga. But trust me, if I do end up teaching yoga, I'll save headstands for the truly advanced student.

No comments: