Monday, June 09, 2008

Traffic jam is not so tasty

Since March, I have been going to work from 6am to 2:30pm. Since I work nearly an hour from work, I have had to get up at 4am. In all reality, that meant getting out of bed at 4:15am, choosing some clothes to wear, getting showered and dressed, and grabbing something to eat and drink for the car ride by 5:10am. The morning commute was never bad, except for that one time an 18-wheeler turned over and I didn't clock in until 7:30am.

The ride home however was atrocious.

Rush hour in D.C. starts at 3pm. If I managed to get to the Wilson bridge by 3, I'd be home in under an hour. If I had gotten to work late or if I had to stay a few minutes late, and left at say, 2:40, it would automatically be at least another 30mins in the car.

I know, I know. In this day and age where gas is commonly over $4/gal, what the hell am I doing driving an hour to work? And as I sit waiting in the 6miles of traffic to the Potomac, my car idly creeps along at 5 miles/hour emitting exhaust and blowing up the size of my carbon footprint to epic proportions and the dismal fate of the ice caps and those poor widdle polar bear cubs is ALL MY FAULT.... all because I work too damn far from home.

If only I could telecommute. But science is awfully hard to do from home. Though I do know you can get an old thermal cycler for $20 on ebay.

Anyways, I'm glad to say that at least I will no longer have to deal with afternoon bridge traffic because I'm going back to my beloved evening shift, 2:00pm to 10:30pm. Hooray! I no longer have to go to bed before the sun does! Yeah, I'm still commuting much too far, but at least I'm not wasting my time, health, money, or natural resources on traffic jams.

No comments: