Thursday, November 06, 2008

Election Day

At 10am on Tuesday, I got into my car and drove to the Moose Lodge, about 1.5 miles from my house. Only, I didn't really get that far. I ended up parking on my street about halfway there. Cars were parked all along the nearby neighborhood streets and along the main road. It was a sight to see so many people eager to vote for the next president of the United States.

By the time I took my place in line, the que went all the way to the street along the Moose Lodge driveway and completely around the perimeter of the parking lot in the back.

But not a single complaint was heard. It was like a miracle. Everyone was actually happy to wait. Lots of chatting and and smiles and getting acquainted with people you never knew were your neighbors. Hundreds of people with patience! In the rain, even! (Ok, a light drizzle, but still...) I don't think I'll ever see so much patience ever again in my life.

I, myself, had a really nice time. I finished reading a book and started knitting a sock. My back hurt after a while, but I didn't mind too much. I had snacks and water in my purse. I didn't have an umbrella, which was dumb, but I can't hold an umbrella and knit at the same time.

Two hours and 50 minutes later, I cast my vote for Barack Obama. Less than 12 hours later he would be our new President-elect.

And I was so ready to stay up late to get the final word on all of the votes. I wasn't even home yet from work when McCain delivered his concession speech, which, I must admit, was excellent.

Record breaking voter turnout and no recounts or other shenanigans for a black man...it's like we're a civilized people.

Someone let me know when I can stop holding my breath for something bad to happen.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Yaayyyy! Go democracy! I waited 2 hrs starting at 5:30 a.m. (stupid school schedule!) but my line was like yours - everyone excited, no complaints. I actually fell asleep before it was announced (since I got up at 5:00 am), but apparently there were people out celebrating in the streets! I'm so proud of our country!

Anonymous said...

Informative blog. Election is a formal group decision making process by which a population chooses an individual to hold public office. Here you have discussed the important facts of the process of election and etc. Thanks for sharing. Along with this article, I would like to share some interesting facts about the hammerhead sharks which are a group of sharks that form the family sphyrnidae.