Saturday, February 25, 2006

Health Update (because I'm an old fart and it's all I talk about)

Warning: this entry is contains material not suitable for children, men, or people eating rare steak tacos with ketchup.
[However you may be particularly interested in this entry if you're old and spend your holidays talking about your glucose and cholesterol levels. You know who you are (everyone over 40 who has ever been to Thanksgiving at the Frayna house!!!)]

So, here's an update on the whole weight loss dealie. I haven't really lost any weight in the over a month. SOOOO frustrating. It's been down half a pound, up half a pound, down half, up 0.2lbs. Crazy. This week I finally got rid of some water I'd been retaining thanks to a particularly bad visit from Aunt Flo and I'm finally down more than a pound that I'm pretty certain is actual fat.

It's really interesting how much more aware I am of bodily things since I've been on a diet. And it has also helped in making me more hormonally regular. I've had issues in the past with possibly having polycystic ovary syndrome which might partly explain why I have gone 4 to 6 months without witnessing a massacre at the Y, but that all seems to be going away.

Despite the crappy immoble numbers of the scale, I did get a physical two weeks ago and got fantastic news. But first, let's go back in time...

Last year, I had elevated liver enzymes and normal blood glucose but borderline high HbA1C level (which gives you an idea of your glucose levels over the past three months). My blood pressure was also borderline high. I also probably had borderline high triglycerides. Just borderline everything. I was supposed to lose 10lbs and go back in a month to get my liver enzymes checked, but I kind of freaked out and never went.

It took me 8 months to get my ass in gear and do something about it, but now I can honestly say the crappiness of dieting and the high cost of Jenny Craig is TOTALLY WORTH IT.

NOW, my blood pressure is a textbook 120/80 (and I even check often since I have a BP monitor at home now--see? I am such an old fart). My triglycerides are fine and my cholesterol is lower. My glucose is totally normal. There is no problem with my liver enzymes. And the red tide comes in like clockwork. So many good things that I'm really happy about. I still have A LONG way to go until I get to a good BMI, but it's truly amazing how a little weight loss can help so significantly.

Ok, so there wasn't too much period talk. So here's a website for mentrual euphemisms to make up for it. Go ahead and gross yourself out.

No comments: