Sunday, February 26, 2006

Commitment-phobe

I got stood up last week. TWICE.

Tuesday afternoon my friend J. and I were having an afternoon coffee. At one point in the conversation she leans forward and looks at me seriously.

"I have something important to ask you."

"Uh, ok."

"I would like your commitment."

"Uhhhh, wha?" This is so gay.

"I need someone to meet me at the gym everyday so that I exercise more regularly. I need commitment. Can you make that commitment?"

LOL, gay.

Anyway, we agreed to go the next morning for a walk around the Rice University track or the UT rec center if the weather sucked. To start this whole thing the very next morning was a little sudden and I hadn't been getting up very early because my sleep schedule was a little shifted, but I figured why not? I'm all for helping and encouraging someone who wants to get healthy.

So after a short 4 hours of sleep, Thursday morning at 7am, I get up, jump into my sweats, lace up my shoes, pull back my hair, and give J. a call at 7:30.

No answer.

I waited 15min and called again. Still no answer. DAMMIT. This wasn't even my idea!!! Grumbling to myself, I kick off my shoes and do a few sun salutations. But once I got into corpse pose, I just lied there and went back to sleep for another hour. (That is honestly the best part of yoga. Every session ends with you just lying on your back.)

Turns out she overslept until noon and left her cell phone in the car so she never heard it.

*sigh* Ok, so I understand and ask her if she wants to try again tomorrow. She says yes.

She means no.

Thursday morning I have a hell of a time getting up. But I figure she'll really want to go since she stood me up the first day. I call her at 7:15 eager to take a walk outside even if it is a little cloudy. She answers the phone and it's obvious I just woke her up. But we agree to meet at the rec center at 8am. Oh well, no outdoor walk today.

I got to the rec center at 8 and started on a treadmill. I hate this gym. There are a lot of machines and the place is newly renovated, but there is no TV. The little workout room at my apartment complex has crappy and probably dangerous machines, but at least there is TV. The only thing keeping me sane at this rec center is the fact that I have never used this paticular machine before and still need to figure out what all the buttons are for. No TV and I have no music.

After 40mins, 2 miles, about 300 Calories burned, my cell phone rings. It's J. Turns out she fell back to sleep. She was VERY apologetic.

*Sigh* this wasn't even my idea. I don't care to exercise with people unless I'm outdoors. Exercising with people at a gym is really unnecssary unless you need a spotter. Because really, if you have the ability to talk a lot or read or look around, you're probably not exercising hard enough. The WHOLE point was that she'd feel obligated to go if she knew someone was there to meet her. Oh well, at least it got ME out of bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least I was only late :)