Thursday, May 11, 2006

The one thing keeping me from reaching Nirvana

Today I went to a seminar at work and listened to Matthieu Ricard talk about "Happiness: a guide to life's most important skill". Ricard, whose father happens to be an atheist and French philosopher, attained his PhD in cellular genetics at the Pasteur Institute in the lab of a Nobel laureate. Upon completion of his doctorate, Ricard became a Buddhist monk. This is hilarious to any burnt out graduate student. However, he still does science. He was involved in a study comparing the physiology of Buddhist monks who are experts at meditation with volunteers who were total novices to meditation. Very interesting. Monks are apparently never stressed out and have insanely huge attention spans and also feel a much higher level of compassion than your average joe.

So, I was curious to what Buddhism is and found
this page. I agree with a lot of the fundamentals of this "religion". I could almost see myself becoming a Buddhist. But man, I like eating meat.

No comments: