Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ring practice


It's always nice when creative inspiration hits, especially when you think you've lost interest in doing the things you usually like to do.

I've tried making wire rings before, but they looked like crap and I didn't have quality wire and they would tarnish really quickly. But I came across a website selling handmade jewelry and thought I'd give rings another try.

Plus I had a neat looking bead.

So, this is a practice run. Next time I'll use a thicker wire and try to find a tool to make different sized rings. I had to wrap the wire around a cylinder four times to make it rigid enough to wear. And first I tried wrapping it around a chapstick. That was obviously too small for me. Then I tried a nail polish bottle top. It's ok, but still a little too big on my middle finger.

"Real" ring parts are hard to find unless you make "real" jewelry ("real" meaning precious metal and stone jewelry). So, I have yet to decide if wire rings are nice or too crafty and primitive. I suppose for a fun, casual ring, it's cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh pretty!

D said...

Grace! Stop stealing my comments! j/k :)