Saturday, June 17, 2006

Who knew lions liked calamari?

Every summer the Museum of Natural Science in Houston holds a party every Friday night from 6-10pm called Mixers, Elixirs, and IMAX. For the past 4 years I've had good intentions to go. Last night I actually went!

For $12 you get access to the general exhibits, a live band, appetizers from Whole Foods, a cash bar, and an IMAX movie while socializing with a myriad of nerds who spend their Friday nights at a museum. Last night the nerds were young and old and they all danced around a dinosaur skeleton to the music of an 80's cover band called Molly and the Ringwalds. The band was good and 80's music is always fun. I watched them from the mezzanine while the two girls I was with were trying to flirt with guys who looked like they were still in undergrad. The food was lame: just broken chips and dip straight out of the Whole Foods plastic containers. We got there at around 9pm so we had about an hour to play with the science exhibits and mill around before the IMAX movie at 10.

We watched Roar: Lions of the Kalahari, but I kept calling it Lions Eating Calamari. It was weird watching a documentary with other people. I watch a lot of documentaries about anything and everything, but I watch them alone at home with my no-cable TV. I don't usually have people come over to watch TV because my TV is lame. So anyway, I was getting sort of antsy. I guess I just have a better attention span when I'm at home alone.

Afterwards, we went to Katz's Deli (Katz's Never Kloses!) and I had challah french toast that was to die for. I didn't eat all of it. The tiny girls I was with both ate a lot more food than me. Bitches. Oh well, I lost 3 pounds in the past two weeks, so I'm not bitter. The weight was some that I had gained back after leaving JC, so not a big deal, but at least it's in the right direction!

Anyways, I had a pretty good time and I'll go back to Mixers, Elixirs, and IMAX. Only next time I might actually dance and have more fun, even if I go alone, instead of rolling my eyes at the boy-crazy girls I went with last night. Plus, there are other IMAX movies I'd like to see and I really need to get out more even if it is really quite nerdy.

No comments: