Friday, February 02, 2007

Fresh and so clean clean

So the job search is at a low right now. I was bummed about not getting that job and then I found out one of the NIH mouse jobs I applied for was just flat out cancelled. I didn't hear back from the hiring agency about a phone interview that I did recently so I guess that was a bust, too.

I did a few lazy searches for jobs but didn't really find much that would suit me. Just a big ol' bummer all around.

Stressfull and disappointing. (Where are my meds?)

So I decided to paint my room. I figured I needed a calming sanctuary and a fresh start.

First, I watched hours of DIY and HGTV, especially the shows like Design on a Dime, Free Style, Decorating Cents, and Redesign. You know, the shows for people with no money. As I watched those shows I went to BHG.com and played with Arrange-a-Room about a million times. I ended up rearranging the furniture in the den. The den is very 1979 and has wood paneling that I will be painting over once I'm done with my room. I still have no idea how to arrange my room, but I don't need to figure that out until I'm done painting.

Anyways, I then went to JoAnn's Fabrics and chose a fabric to be the "inspiration" for my bedroom. I bought a little less than 8 yards (almost the whole bolt) of "home decorating" fabric (30%off!) to use for curtains to cover my wide, shallow closet. The closet used to have metal folding doors but they broke a long time ago. The closet will not require all 8 yards so I might be able to make a throw pillow or two. I had to hold myself back and not buy the fabric with the crazy mod paisley design and reminded myself I was going for calm, not crazy. I did choose a medium to heavy weight cotton fabric that is light blue with white flowers that are outlined in grey and detailed in green. I figure I will use those colors as well as some soft yellow and splashes of bright red because it wouldn't be my room if there weren't some bright red. Kinda like this Mucha.Turns out, except for the red, I'm rather color trendy because Sherwin Williams has a color palate called "Balanced Living" that uses those colors here.

I took a swatch of the curtain fabric to Walmart and found a paint color that matched with the blue in the background. It's called "Jade Sea" and it reminds me of the color of the water in the Carribean - in some light it's green, in others it's blue, sometimes aqua or turqoise. So far I am about halfway done painting. Painting is fun at first, but like Goo said, "Painting walls is like pancakes. The first two are fun and easy, but then you just get sick of them." He painted his girlfriend's mom's basement/music studio last summer and had to use a bunch of different colors. I'm just using "Jade Sea" and bright white. I think if paint smelled like candy it wouldn't be half as bad. But it don't.

Once I'm finished with the paint my mom and I will make the closet curtains and get some new window coverings. I'm thinking natural material roman shades or something would be good. We'll see.

I am also planning to get some cool lights from Ikea and paint some vases. I have all of these clear glass vases that I got for cheap a long time ago and I think I'll paint them green or something to coordinate with the rest of the room. I also want an orchid. I can't keep a real one so I'll have to get a fake one. I once had a real one and it got aphids and aphids make me want to puke.

I want the bedding to be like sleeping in a marshmallow with lots of pillows and a down duvet. My parents and I went to a home show today at the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro and while they talked to vendors about hardwood floors and bathroom and kitchen remodeling, I got sateen 400 thread count 100% cotton sheets in creamy yellow for my queen bed for just $20! Yay.

The furniture I have isn't very "zen" but I am not getting new furniture anytime soon so I'll have to make do. It's pretty traditional wood in a medium reddish finish. But a piece of furniture that I DO need is a desk chair. Finding a stylish chair that is also comfortable is going to be difficult. I don't want a typical leather or fabric office chair, despite how comfortable they are. They're kinda ugly. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Once I've got most of my room done I'll post pics. I can't show y'all an unfinished room. I learned that from t.v. You might be skeptical in the beginning, but it'll all come together in the end!

1 comment:

mv said...

See how good tv is for ya? Can't wait to see the pics, Mz. Joan Steppend (sp?).