Friday, December 23, 2005

All dogs go to heaven

I'm home! As usual, I'm very happy to be home and I'm especially glad to be here for about two weeks. I get to see my parents and Goo and the pets. Butters the cat is being very naughty. She keeps knocking things down with her big ol' butt. Butters got a big ol' butt, oh yeah! Kane the big headed dog is doing well.

Kane is now the alpha dog. Trub, our old dog who came to us in November 1992, died two days ago. I was able to see him the night I arrived. He apparently hadn't eaten for four days. Trub was in the utility room and lying on his side, breathing very heavily and slowly. I had to nudge him to get him to acknowledge me. It was very sad.

The next day, we went Christmas shopping. By the time we came back at about 3pm, Trub was dead. We wrapped him in the rug he slept on and buried him in the back yard near the fence by where the peach tree used to be. The grave is now topped with two large terracotta tiles. We were afraid Kane might dig up the grave, but when Kane went out there with Goo later that night, he seemed spooked and barked at Goo until they came back into the house.

We never treated Trub very well, not like we treat Kane who is more of a house dog. Trub was sort of our first dog and we learned a lot from him. Regardless, we loved him and know he is fine now because all dogs DO go to heaven.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am terribly sorry for your loss. I felt really bad when Edward told me about Trub. My condolences to the family...:(

But on a slighty lighter note...he was the oldest dog I have ever known and lived extremely long beyond his years...I suppose it was all of those milk bones...;)

Edward said...

Trub's life was revolved around eatin milkbones and hatred for Kane. He was a good dog though. How i miss that little dog! Wish I could of seen him before he died. sniffle.

Hanne said...

May Trub be on the eternal hunting fields together with all his dog friends. (Norweigan saying, may not make too much sense in English).