Friday, January 13, 2006

Chocolate is my cheat of choice

Every week, after getting weighed at JC, I allow myself a food off of the menu. By having it that evening, I have all week to burn it off.

Two weeks ago I bought a
Dolfin Hot Masala bar from Central Market. Masala is an indian term for spices. Could be anything I guess, depending on who the cook is. In this case, the chocolate was flavored with cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, clove, and ginger. It was REALLY good. My friend said it tasted like christmas. I say that about chai tea lattes. A little weird since they don't even celebrate Christmas in India. This week I tried a variety pack of oddly flavored Dolfin chocolates including lemon rind, orange rind, earl gray tea, anise, cumin, cafe au lait, ginger, and cinnamon. Most of them were dark chocolate and that was kind of a bummer. Cumin was gross. Cinnamon and cafe au lait (both in milk chocolate) were great. The rest were not surprising and I didn't really like because they were either in dark chocolate or a flavor I just don't care for.

So now I'm in this "weird" chocolate kick. While I was at home for break and watching Food Network,
Vosges in Las Vegas was featured on the show Sugar Rush (hosted by the baker of Washington, DC's Cake Love). I sent a small box of truffles to Grace for her birthday and I can't wait to here about how they tasted. The flavors include normal things like cherry, caramel, macadamia nut, coconut, and praline, but they also include exotic flavors like peppercorns, anise, violet, paprika, wasabi, and curry. I told my coworker about these strange truffles and she ordered a box and will generously share them with me. They are a bit pricey (probably similar to Godiva), but I'm sure they're definitely an experience. When I go to Las Vegas to visit my brother and his not-quite-yet born baby, I'd like to stop by the Vosges boutique in the Forum Shops.

Anyway, hope you get to try something new today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you thank you for the awesome chocolates! it was funny because andrew called me at work that morning telling me i had a package from a chocolate shop delivered that morning, and i figured it might be from you :)
i've tried about half so far...i've tried the absinthe (which i can only describe as tasting expensive), gianduia (praline - this was my third fave), wink of the rabbit (turle flavored - second fave - i love caramel!), woolloomooloo (coconut ick! but i'm sure good for people that like coconut), chef pascal (my fave - cherry and dark chocolate - it was insanely good) and ambrosia (white chocolate and cointreau)...
i haven't tried the naga (curry), budapest (paprika) or the black pearl (ginger and wasabi with sesame seeds) because i'm a little scared of them.
i shall report back when i'm brave enough to try!

Anonymous said...

i was looking on the Vosages website and they make mini wedding cakes that serve 2-3 people. holy crap how awesome would that be? that is if you can afford it....

Anonymous said...

they also host chocolate and yoga workshops. they should call these "aileen's workshops" instead. wow!

Aileen said...

I'm so insanely happy that you liked the present of crazy weird chocolates. i can't wait to taste them myself.

and as for the yoga chocolate workshops, i can't believe that i found something else that combines some of my other favorite things!!!