Saturday, January 28, 2006

"Simplify, MAN!"

It's raining now, a LOT. All afternoon. In Houston, you never know where you're going to get stranded when it rains. If it rains 5 minutes, all the low lying areas are already flooded.

Good thing I woke up early today. I managed to get myself to the Saturday farmer's market behind the restaurant T'afia. There are three farmer's markets that I am aware of inside the Loop. I was attracted to this one because the website mentioned that they sell bread and chocolate and other prepared food. Today, the chocolate people weren't there today, but I did get a carmalized onion and nicoise olive flatbread, aka pissaldiere. The owner of Tafia also has a booth at the farmers market and had a large assortment of dressings, vinagrettes, and salads. I got something called Harissa, apparently a Tunisian spice rub in olive oil. It has a bunch of unidentifiable spices, but at least one of them is the same as the one you smell when you walk into a Chinese grocery. It's not spicy hot but definitely flavorful, and definitely something new to add to my vegetables.

There were lots of veggies at the market of course! Most were organic, a little more expensive than grocery store non-organic, but surely cheaper than Whole Foods. It's winter so there was a lot of cauliflower and broccoli and dark greens. I went shopping on Thursday, so I didn't need anything; the goal for today was just to check out a farmer's market for the first time. But I'd like to go regularly because it's been so aggravating not being able to buy good, FRESH produce at the grocery store. I'm picky about quality and frugal about price when it comes to produce. And I buy LOTs of produce. (I eat a big ass salad every day for lunch and a big ass portion of cooked vegetables for dinner, in addition to my JC food. When you realize how small portions of food actually are, you need to fill up on veggies. Non-starchy vegetables are a "free" food on the JC diet and you're allowed to eat as much as you want.) So, the solution is to buy food that is in season and probably grown locally. I'm not a stickler about buying organic, but it's preferable IF the price is right. And usually it is, if the item is in season. It's all about seasonality, isn't it? Tomatoes are $3 in the winter and $1 in the summer for a reason.

Next week I'll head over to the Houston Farmer's Market the Heights and maybe the Bayou City one the week after that. I'll let you know which is my favorite. If you have the chance to check out your local food people, I highly suggest it. It's fun and you get to talk to the people who make your food. And it's good for the earth and small farmers and you and etc etc. If you have the means, do it, because not everybody can.

Now I just need to buy me some canvas bags to complete my earthy crunchy granola head hippie transformation. LOL, whatever. But seriously, I need some canvas bags. Little things done by lots of people equals a big thing. But if I start wearing hemp and jesus shoes and yelling "Simplify, man!", somebody slap me.

No comments: