Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Yay! I drew something!

So, the program I'm affliated with in school is looking for a new logo. The current one is kinda sad looking. Very...Charlie Brown Christmas tree. Only I guess this would be Charlie Brown's DNA.

I don't have the passionate hate others in the program have for it, but I admit, it is lacking. And I'd happily design something new just because I love this sort of thing. We're thinking of making program tshirts too, so this little fragment just won't do. We need something that has impact and clearly represents a human and molecular genetics program.

So, I designed this.


I think it's pretty. It can be simple in black and white and even simpler and stylized if the bases (rungs) are removed. But it also has potential for lots of color. I made a colorized sketch but it ended up looking super gay because the backbone was purple and the 4 bases were red, blue, yellow, and green. Way too rainbow. Perhaps if the backbone weren't purple, it wouldn't be too gay. Anyway, I don't care too much about the color. I don't terribly care about the lettering for the name of the program either. I don't have any clever font ideas for that.

My only concerns with the drawing:

1) the person (it's a woman, by the way. look at those hips! and the angle of the arms!) appears trapped inside the helix. My coworker said it could represent the fact that we're stuck with the genes we're given. I'll take that, sure.

2) the position of the arms make it look like she's saying, "Eh, I don't know". But the position is typical anatomical position, so I'll take that, too. Sometimes it looks like an accepting, welcoming arm pose, so that's pretty good, too.

Well, I hope this gets chosen with great enthusiasm. If not, one of my lab mates have already expressed an interest in getting nerdy tshirts with this on it anyway. I've got iron-on transfers so that might happen regardless. So, all is pretty good.

Oh, one more thing. I drew this by hand with guidance from illustrations off the internet. It combines a number of different drawings, none of them with the particular idea of a person inside a helix, so I feel this is unique. The only bad part of the process was that I TOTALLY SUCK at photoshop, so if any ahem, EXPERTS in the field would like to teach me, I am a willing student.

7 comments:

Edward said...

Hey I took tons of classes in photoshop when I was in school. And I pretty much use if for work. Just tell me what in photoshop you are trying to do and maybe I'll help you.

Aileen said...

well i had a pic of a man and pic of DNA and was trying to put the man inside the DNA but that was just beyond the realm of what i could do.

actually, the simplest basic things in photoshop are beyond me. there are so many buttons that aren't very intuitive and i never learned the very basics. maybe i need a book.

Edward said...

Books are good and I'm sure you can find tutorials online. I think Adobe even has some on their website. Anyhoo let me know if you need some help.

Edward said...

Did I fail to mention, I think thats a pretty cool design. I can see you push it pretty far with more color.

Aileen said...

Hey thanks. I turned it in today. So far, mine is the only entry and people like it. We have maybe 15 students in the program. I hear that one guy has an idea but hasn't done it yet. I don't know when the design will be chosen, but it will have to be in time for this spring's symposium aka "science fair". (which i actually hope i won't be around for!)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool, Aileen! It's about time the program had a better logo. Very awesome.

Anonymous said...

And I want one of those nerdy T-shirts! :)