Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Princess for a day

Thank you all for the birthday well wishes. I am not terribly thrilled about turning 26, especially since it feels like the past 4 or 5 years just disappeared into nothingness. But it really turned out to be a nice day with all the emails and calls and whatnot.

I was supposed to finish up a presentation for tomorrow afternoon, but instead I spent the day pretty much eating cake. My boss was working from home today so the *tiny* lab went over to her house and had cake and ice cream. Whenever we have cake at her house for birthday or some other celebration, she dresses up the kitchen table with streamers and confetti. But I also got a tiara! (besides, somebody has to wear one since the resident Queer, I mean, Queen moved away)

It was so funny because every time the lab manager orders stuff from Fisher (the science world's Sears catalog), I ask for a tiara. I wore it all day, even when we went back to the lab. I made a few people laugh, but strangely...or not strangely, I didn't get any weird looks. I suppose it was just appropriate. LOL.

My boss also gave me a pair of pink handmade (by whom? dunno) cluster drop earrings that match the tiara beautifully. And my lab mate gave me a gift certificate to Williams-Sonoma. Directly after work lab mate and I went to W-S and I got a bottle of Olivier Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Dipping Oil and some Fleur de Sel (fancy schmancy gourmet French salt). They sang "Happy Birthday" with plenty of falsetto and ridiculous bravado. The cake was lit with 24 candles (only 24 because that's how many come in a box). My lab is just so sweet. It all really made my day, especially since I've been kinda down and mostly sad because I'm far from all you guys. (Life's not fair, hate my life, blah blah blah. wah.) I've been told I am to expect more gifts (love you guys so much, you have no idea). I eagerly wait by the mailbox.

But thanks again to all you guys. It reallllllly means a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I'm glad your presents finally got there. Plus, in a few more days you'll get your card! :P