Sunday, March 19, 2006

We are the music makers, the dreamers of the dreams

After a crazy week at work (class presentation and spending over 12hrs in front of Power Point to make a last minute 8ft x 4ft scientific poster for my boss) I was so glad to just chillllllllllllll. So I've been spending my time with my shuffle and computer. Yay new technology stuff for me!

I mentioned before that Goo had left some songs on the shuffle. There were some I really wanted to save. Most was stuff I could seriously live without. But, um, OOPs. I erased all of it. DAMMIT. But thing was, my iTunes couldn't "see" any but 16 tracks. My computer could only "see" those same 16 tracks. Then I thought maybe I needed to update my iTunes. I did. But then iTunes said that the iPod was linked to another library (who's?) and for me to even have the iPod on the Source list, it would have to be linked to my iTunes and my songs would replace the songs on the iPod. Only thing was, I had no songs. So, yeah...oops.

But I did have fun adding my music to it. I had to learn all the basics of CD burning and whatnot that everyone else in the world learned about 5 years ago because my other laptop didn't have a CD writin' drive. Thankfully, iTunes made it easy.

I'm terrible at keeping CDs. I often lose them or scratch them. So the CDs I actually imported are just a small sample of what I like and bought over time. For some miracle they have survived. Unfortunately, my copy of 40oz to Freedom is nowhere to be seen...so if anybody wants to burn me a copy, I'd be greatful!

Happiness! came when I realized I still have the CDs of my old laptop's hard drive from when it crashed 3 years ago. I hadn't any music to it since then so it contained almost all of the songs I got off of Napster from way back in the golden age of the internet (as well as some old photos :) good thing most of my new photos are online). I wasn't a heavy downloader, only having a couple hundred songs, but I'm glad to have some random tracks, like the Ralph Wiggum compliation and one of the later versions of the Hannukah song.

Having Lightscribe on my computer is mildly neat, too. Some laser inside my computer etches pictures onto special discs so I don't have to get paper labels. Which is good because after the last time my printer ran out of ink, I stopped using the machine. I print stuff at work instead. I burned a copy of the Garden State CD for my friend J. (the one who stood me up for exercising AGAIN!!!!! just this past Thursday) and used lightscribe to label it. It's kinda neat, but limiting because the label has to be in b&w and the selection of backgrounds sucks unless you upgrade. But, upgrading is only like $12, so I'll do it. Also, finding the lightscribe CDs is kinda hard. I guess I should stock up before it all gets discontinued.

Crazy thing though, I filled the shuffle a lot quicker than I expected. Does this mean I need a REAL iPod with crazy amounts of space??!?!?!? Am I becoming one of THOSE people? One of those crazy kids with their white ear buds and tuning out the rest of the world making other people wonder how soon it will be before they get hit by a car they didn't hear coming?!?!?!?!?

Nah. I'll have more space one I streamline the tracks to the ones I can exercise to. And of course, I'll get bored with it all pretty soon.

No comments: